Murders M – R


M – R

Submitted by Martha J. Martin and Sharon Kouns

see Levi CANTER

MAINS, John 
A boy of about 17 years of age, was severely stabbed by John Gillilen, at Petersburg, last Saturday night. The affray was the result of an old grudge. Gillelen was sitting on a fence, when Mains was passing by and he accosted Mains with a boast, that he could whip him. – Mains doubted the truth of the claim, whereupon Gillelen fearfully assailed him, stabbing him a great number of times. Two the wounds proved very severe and probably will result fatally. Seventeen cuts were found in Mains’ coat afterward. Gillelen has not been arrested, he having made good his escape soon after the affair.
Petersburg* appears to be a great place for stabbing affrays. It sent a case to the last term of the Common Pleas Court. A lesson seems necessary to be taught.

*Petersburg is now Coal Grove
Ironton Register, June 11, 1868

MARKINS, Charles
see Lafe LARGE

see Fred MONROE

The village of Waterloo was the scene of a shooting affray Monday morning in which it is said Neal Massie shot Morris Bandy inflicting a severe flesh wound in his left arm. The trouble it seems, arose over the tenancy of the house belonging to Bandy, in which Massie lived. Monday Bandy went to the house and served notice on his tenant to vacate. This precipitated a quarrel and Massie used his revolver. After the shooting he fled and has not been apprehended. Complaint, was made before the Justice of the Peace Boggess (?) of Waterloo, charging him with shooting with intent to kill, and a warrant for his arrest was issued by the official.
I.R. Oct. 11, 1900

see Fred MONROE

MAYS, Jonathan
see Thornton SAMPSON
IJ Sept 1, 1871

McCALL, Andrew
Andrew J. McCall and One Daughter are Dead While Two Others are Probably Fatally Injured – The Woman Captured and Makes a Partial Confession.
From Monday’s Daily.
A horrible double family murder was committed on a shanty boat this morning at the mouth of Three Mile, just above Guyandotte.
The victims are Andy McCall and his seventeen-year-old daughter, Nettie, who were brained with an ax, while they slept and another daughter had an arm nearly cut off but escaped death.
A third daughter is also reported to have been injured.
The terrible deed was committed by a woman, a Mrs. Etta Robbins, who lived on the boat with the McCalls.
Details of the affair and the motives therefore are not known here at this writing, but the reporter was given some facts concerning it today by Charles Bailey a shanty boatman whose boat was moored close to the McCalls, and who, accompanied Chief Turner of Huntington and Marshal Seary of Ashland to this city in search of the murderess.
The woman after committing the deed, took Bailey’s jo-boat and getting two of McCall’s younger children in it, a boy and a girl of 10 to 13 years old, started down the river.
Bailey says that about 4 o’clock this morning he was aroused by Delilah McCall, aged 25, who came to his boat with an arm nearly severed, and told of the terrible deed.
Bailey returned with her to the boat and looking in saw the bodies of McCall and his daughter lying in their blood on the floor of the boat.
He investigated no further but at once went to Huntington and notified Chief Turner, and accompanied him down the river in search of the murderess.
They came down on the Chevalier and got off at Catlettsburg, then came to Ashland, and accompanied by Marshal Seary, came on to Ironton.
It appeared that the woman after committing the deed, at once started, with the two children down the river in a boat.
When the Chevalier reached Ashland and her crew and passengers reported the murder and the flight of the woman, parties on the wharf boat remembered having seen a woman and two children in a boat pass down the river this morning.
A telephone message was sent to Will Murdock on the wharf boat here to notify the officers to look for the boat and intercept it.
Accordingly Marshal Collier and Officer Brownstead got a skiff and patrolled the river, but saw nothing of the boat.
The Chevalier, coming along later, reported having seen nothing of it and it was then assumed that the boat had either landed between here and Ashland or had gotten past the city before it was noticed.
Later Chief Turner and Marshal Seary arrived, accompanied by Bailey, and learned across the river that the boat had passed here.
Procuring a horse and buggy the chief started down the river in pursuit, Bailey and Marshal Seary going in a skiff.
The result of his trip is not leaned at this writing.

This afternoon a dispatch to the REPUBLICAN from the Huntington HERALD gives the name of the murdered man as A. J. Call, instead of McCall, and says that he “and his daughter Nettie were killed and his daughters Delilah and Grace badly, the former fatally wounded. Etta Robbins, a notorious woman, says she killed Call, but denies killing or wounding the women.”
The telegram would indicate that the murderess had been captured above here, and parties down on the steamer Ida Smith report that she was captured; but if so, Chief Turner and Bailey evidently do not know it as they went on down the river, following the boat supposed to contain the murderess.
Still later this afternoon it is reported positively that the murderess was captured above, and she and her victims were all taken to Huntington.              Jealousy is reported motive for the crime.

The Murderess in Jail.
The Terrible Scene on the Boat.
Etta Robbins, the woman who committed the horrible butchery on a shanty boat above Huntington yesterday morning was arrested during the day right at the scene of the crime.
Chief Turner and his companions who were here yesterday searching for the woman, went as far as Greenup before learning of her arrest at the scene, to which she evidently soon returned.
A Huntington HERALD reporter who visited the boat describes the terrible scene there as follows:
As we entered, there lay on a bundle of straw upon a rickety bedstead in the corner of the boat a young woman, twenty-five years old, with a ghastly wound in the back of her neck, another in her shoulder and a third on her back. She was almost speechless so we passed through the partition door and there in a half nude state lay another young woman, 19 years old, on her back, cold in death, with her head almost severed from her shoulders, by a tremendous lick which had been struck from behind. Besides her at right angles lay the dead body of a man said to be forty-six years old, with his legs thrown across the body of the young woman, with a terrible gash in his shoulder, another in his neck, and the body was otherwise mutilated.
Setting in the front end of the boat was a woman, Etta Robbins, sewing with a needle and thread on an old dress skirt, while huddled around the room were three small children, and in one corner was a girl twelve years old with a fearful gash on her right shoulder, which showed that she too had been in the fearful game of destruction. Picking out the woman sewing at the skirt, as the one most likely to give particulars of the terrible tragedy, the HERALD approached her and asked. What does this mean? Who did all this, and why was it done?
To our surprise, and astonishment, the woman, without the slightest change in her countenance said: “I killed the man, but don’t know who killed the woman.”
The woman then told that she was awakened by Call who pulled her out of bed, accused her of trying to betray him and then got an ax and tried to kill her. In the scuffle she got hold of the ax and killed him. She would not tell how the young woman was killed, and others wounded.
Delilah Call, one of the wounded girls, could give little account of the tragedy. She saw the woman kill her father, then got into a struggle with the woman, got the ax and started to leave the boat, when she was pushed off into the river. She got to shore and raised an alarm.
The wholesale murderess is now in jail at Huntington to await a preliminary hearing. She is described as having been a “holy terror” before this tragedy.
IWR Jul 25, 1896

IR Aug. 27, 1863

On Saturday night week, a man by the name of James McCLELLAN, living near Centre Furnace, was severely stabbed in the neck, abdomen and shoulders, and had his head badly bruised with a club. The persons engaged in the affray were Wm. DOBBINS, Isaiah SHORT and —SKAGGS. They had quarreled about a boy insulting McCLELLAN’S wife. No arrests.
On Wednesday of last week, Jim STEWART badly cut Sam’l ROSS, in a quarrel about work. The affair occurred not far from Centre Furnace.
On last Saturday, not far from Olive Furnace, Samuel HEDDING ws fatally stabbed by Thomas SMITH and — REED, while they were on a drunk. HEDDING died last Monday morning. SMITH was arrested.
On last Saturday, back of Millersport, Sam WHITE shot Joseph WALLS with a revolver and killed him almost instantly. The parties were at a shooting match, when they quarreled and got into a fight. WHITE also shot a man who turned to arrest him, in the hand. WALLS was shot through the head and back. Two men by the name of SWARTWOOD and ARMSTRONG were sent to jail by Esq. BLAKE, on the charge of being accessories. WHITE, the murderer, is at large.
Last week, at Hecla Furnace, James HAEBERLIN and — HARRIS got into a controversy which resulted in the former stabbing the latter in the shoulder. Wound is not dangerous.
IR Oct. 6, 1870

see Miss NORTHUP

Ironton Register, Thursday, February 16, 1888
An Awful Crime Graphically Described.
The New York Herald sent a correspondent into the Big Sandy region to report the Hatfield and McCoy war, but having entered the Hatfield jurisdiction, he was shot at and had to turn back. He however writes an account making an entire page of the Herald, from which we take the following description of the attack on the McCoy home, which our readers have no doubt been much interested in, from the account which the Register has given of the same in a very interesting letter from a valued correspondent up Big Sandy. The Herald account says:
“It was New Year’s night – a cold, blustery, moonlit night – when the main body of the Hatfield gang met at Old Ance’s house and marched across the Tug, up Pounding Mill Creek to a little fork, up that fork and down another to the main Blackberry Creek, and from there to the house of Randolph McCoy, on the Blackberry fork of Pond Creek.
“When the band arrived at the two cabins side by side the lights were out. Old man McCoy slept in one with his wife, his oldest son, Calvin, and his tiny nephew. In the connecting cabin slept his three daughters, Alifair, Adelaide and Fanny, and their little niece. Alifair was the oldest, a gentle, religious girl, known all over the country as a nurse who was always ready to tend the sick and helpless. Her life was devoted to charitable deeds and missions of tenderness. She was the guardian of her murdered brother’s orphans.

It was a hoarse, fierce cry that broke on the night air.
“You’ll invade Virginia and kidnap citizens, will you? Come out and surrender as prisoners of war!”
“There was a terrific chorus ef vella. Calvin McCoy and his father knew what it meant. The doors were barricaded. Calvin went up stairs while his father and mother stayed downstairs. The girls in the next cabin crouched in a corner.
“Come out, —— ——- you, and yield!”
“A volley of rifle bullets cut through the back and front doors of the cabin. Calvin knocked out the weather boarding at either end of the cabin garret and fired with his repeating rifle, first out of one loophole and then out of the other. The firing kept up for some time. Then the Hatfields ordered the McCoys to light up the interior of the cabin. There was no response. They went to the door of the cabin where the trembling girls cowered, and ordered them to make a light. Alifair cried and declared that she had no matches.
“While this was going on, the rest of the Hatfield gang were piling torches against the cabin occupied by old McCoy, and at last set it on fire. The old man threw water out and extinguished it as fast as the fire was relit. Finally the water was all gone. The flames were beginning to hiss and crackle around the dry logs.
“Alifair!” cried Calvin, from above, ‘go and put that fire out with milk.’
“Oh Calvin, Calvin! They’ll kill me,’ pleaded the girl.
“Put it out, Alifair!” shrieked the heroic young fellow as he fired a shot at a figure skulking below.
“The girl appeared at the door and several rifles were levelled at her. She advanced.
“Go back, you ——- — — ——-, or you’ll be shot like a dog.’

“Cap Hatfield and Hence Chambers, I know you,’ she cried. “You won’t kill a woman, will you? I have two little orphans to raise. Cap, I have prayed to God for you and I have prayed for peace. Don’t murder me.’
“No mercy to women!’ hissed a voice through the darkness. ‘Slay all. She’ll be a witness.’
“In the name of our Lord ———‘ R r-r-r bang!
“The soft eyed Alifair fell over on the stove with a rifle bullet through her gentle bosom. Her sisters pulled the dead girl from the stove which was burning her flesh.
“Oh, my God! Mother, Alifair’s shot! Go to her,’ screamed Calvin.
“As the gray haired mother stepped out into the yard to reach her daughter in the next cabin, she was roughly ordered back by old Jim Vance. The frantic woman rushed on and was felled by a blow in the side with a rifle barrel, which fractured two ribs. Still the old mother crawled on in the light of the flames almost to the door, inside of which her child lay dead. There was a man at the door with a cocked pistol.
“You old ——- — — ——-, I’ll kill you, too, if you don’t go back!” he growled.
“Oh, for the sake of Christ let me go to my poor, dear girl! I don’t mean any harm. Let me see my child.’
“A rifle butt crashed on the venerable head and the mother lay still.

“The fight in the other cabin was becoming terrific. As the flames slowly ate away the woodwork below old McCoy crawled up into the garret with his lion hearted son, and the two half naked prisoners fought like tigers for their lives. The air was stifling and they could feel the warm breath of the flames. Now, the beams began to crack and the smoke poured into the little coop.
“Father, I’ll make a dash. It’s our only chance. If I reach the corn crib alive, I’ll be able to protect you with my rifle.’
“The two shook hands and kissed, never to meet again on earth. Calvin ran out of the door, and doubling up, raced like a deer with his rifle in his hand. A stream of bullets followed him. He had gone thirty yards when a bullet crashed through his head and he leaped into the air and fell upon his face a corpse.
“Soon the old man appeared at the door bare-tooted, bareheaded and in his nightclothes. He discharged both barrels of his shotgun into the crowd, killing Ellison Mounts and wounding Jim Vance, French Ellis and two others. As the mutilated gang scattered the old man escaped into the woods. He crawled up on a ledge of rocks, and from the shadow peered down at his burning cabin, half frozen in the bitter winter wind and writhing with a fear that his little ones would be put to death before his eyes. He could see the logs that he had piled together falling apart and the light of the flames sparkling in the creek beyond.

“Then came a sight that made his heart stand still almost. The girls crawled out of the cabin and placed the corpse of gentle Alifair upon a bed, folding her hands upon her breast and closing her eyes. Then they helped old Mrs. McCoy to crawl to the bed and lie down beside her slain daughter. The old man saw the girls then search for their brother. He did not know the boy was dead till he heard their heart transfixing cries when they came upon him. They made a bed for him, too, and the children lay down under the clothes beside him all night.
“When the neighbors came in the morning they found this appalling scene. Adelaide was kneeling beside her brother, with his head in her arms, calling upon him to speak, as she had called all night. The girl had gone stark mad.
“Old McCoy, meanwhile, was almost dead from cold. He wandered up the mountain till he found a place where some hogs had warmed the mire. He stuck his feet deep into the mud and remained there till daybreak, when he staggered into the cabin of John Scott, haggard and hollow eyed.” ….
Oh, Justice! Hast thou no eye for scenes like these? Are thy feet gone out of the wilderness forever?
A Hatfield has married a McCoy and the Hatfield and McCoy war is ended. A kiss and make up is an old saying; but marry and make up is a great improvement.
IR Mar 26, 1891

Ironton Semi-Weekly Republican, Sept. 25, 1897
. Feeley the Aggressor, And Shoots First, Wounding Hatfield. – Then the Latter Empties His Gun at Feeley With Dangerous Results. – Hatfield Escapes.
A shooting affair which may result in a fatality occurred about 7:30 o’clock Sunday evening in John Truby’s saloon in the Hotel Denison.
The principals were John Feeley, ex-policeman and ex-mail carrier, of this city, and Asa Hatfield, of near Williamson, W. Va., a scion of the noted family of feudal fighters.
The first shot fired was by Feeley, the bullet hitting Hatfield in the left hand and making a wound which bled considerably. Hatfield then shot four or five shots in quick succession, three of the bullets hitting Feeley, and he also supplemented the shooting by beating Feeley in the head with his revolver. Feeley was wounded in the right arm, left knee and left hip.
After the shooting Hatfield walked out through the hotel office and dining room and into the kitchen where he stopped and re-loaded his revolver. He is said to have remarked that he didn’t want to shoot Feeley but that the latter shot first. Hatfield was bareheaded, and went to the rack and got a hat but it was not his own. He then passed out the kitchen door, through the rear yard to Vernon street and disappeared.
Feeley, after being shot, walked into the officer where several parties took hold of him and helped him to a chair. He was then put on a cot and carried to Dr. Pricer’s office, where examination of his wounds was made.
One bullet was found to have struck the right forearm and lodged in the elbow joint.
Another had struck his left leg just above the knee and passed through and out behind and below the knee joint.
The third bullet had penetrated the left hip and though deeply probed for it could not be found, and the doctor was unable to determine whether it ranged downward and imbedded itself in the muscles of the leg, or had penetrated into the abdomen. In the latter case it is a dangerous and possibly fatal wound.
After some attention at Dr. Pricer’s office Feely was taken to the house of Mrs. Matney on north Third Street, where Dr. Keller also examined his wounds.
As soon as the police were notified of the shooting, Marshal Mittlehauser and Officer Wm. George procured a buggy and went in pursuit of Hatfield, whom it was assumed would make at once for West Virginia. They went to Ashland and Catlettsburg but learned nothing of him.
Monday, however, it was learned that Hatfield after leaving the hotel went up the river and engaged Eli Pyles, a shanty boatman, whose boat is do not have end.

Ironton Semi-Weekly Republican, Sept. 25, 1897
The Portsmouth Times of Tuesday has the following:
“The police were notified this morning that young Anse Hatfield, who shot and dangerously wounded ex-Policeman John Feeley at Ironton Sunday night, had been in Portsmouth last Friday.
It seems that he came in from his mountain home on the N. & W., at 5:15. He came down town, and finding Lew Baum’s saloon on Front street open, sauntered in. He walked behind the bar where Baum was counting some change and wanted to know if that was his day’s business. Baum requested him to get on the other side of the bar and the fellow complied. After taking a drink he went to the do not have end of article.

Ironton Register, September 25, 1897
John Feeley was shot by Asa Hatfield, a nephew of the famous Cap Hatfield, last Sunday night. The shooting took place in the Dennison House bar. Hatfield is a man of 25 or 30, and has been in town several days. Sunday, he registered at the Dennison House and took supper. He was quietly disposed, and played with the children in the hotel office. He encountered Feeley in the saloon. Witnesses say Feeley was intoxicated and proposed to arrest Hatfield. The former had served as special policeman the day before. There was parleying, and revolvers were drawn. Feeley fired once at Hatfield. Then in rapid succession, came five shots from Hatfield’s weapon. He also struck Feeley over the head with the empty revolver. He retreated to the office, reloaded his weapon, discovered he was shot through the hand, and went out through the kitchen.
Feeley was found to be wounded in the right elbow, left knee and left hip. The latter is the worst wound. There are four cuts in the top of his head. He will probably recover. Hatfield was pursued by Marshal Mittlehauser and Fire Chief George to Ashland and Catlettsburg, but he crossed the river here at a family boat, and stopped that night at a house two miles back of Ashland. There will probably be no further attempt to arrest him, for it is the general testimony that Feeley was the aggressor, and a case against him could not be sustained. John Truby, who runs the saloon, was fined by the Mayor for violating the Sunday ordinance.

Ironton Register, Thursday, October 05, 1899 FAMILY FEUDS
Coal Grove Man Gives Interesting Reminiscences of the Past
The article in the Register’s Budge of Sept. 21, 1899 relating to the Editor’s venture up the Big Sandy brings to the writer’s recollection the experiences of a like venture he had some ten years ago, and which extended, not only to the “burning spring” spoken of, but into the very heat of the country once terrorized and made bloody by “Devil Anse” Hatfield and his followers and “Ranse” McCoy and his followers. We will say nothing about rattlesnakes which are very common in that particular locality. It was in Nov. 1890 that the writer in-company with his father and an old Ironton boy who now has a position in the Ironton P.O., was sent by a Philadelphia firm, to survey a large tract of timber and mineral land in Pike County.
We boarded the “Chattaroi” train at Ashland in the morning and at about 2 p.m., we landed at Peach Orchard, where, after a late but much relished dinner, such as one gets up there, one hard to beat, we took the “Hack” for Warfield. We had heard much of the great “burning spring,” and the writer and the Ironton boy had quite a curiosity to see it, so my father, who had seen it while engaged in making a railroad survey, said he would take us over after supper. After supper we proceeded to investigate it and found it just as the Editor described in the REGISTER of the above named date.
We had often heard this expression: “Big Sandy against the world” The prisoners in jail came near getting out, last Saturday. They had taken down the stove pipe and had nearly completed the removal of the brick flue, when their designs were discovered by Deputy Rucker. A few minutes work would have made a hole big enough to enable them to get into the second story, where they could jump out the windows or gain access to the hall. They intended to w____
It was some two years later while there on a visit that the writer became acquainted with the McCoys and Hatfields. The latter are seemingly an agreeable and good natured set, and greet you with a hand-shake that bears evidence of a whole-souled individual and creates within you an unmistakable feeling of welcome. The former are almost of the reverse, sulky, sullen, and disagreeable generally. The writer’s acquaintance with Ransom (better known as “Ranse”) McCoy, who was the leader of the McCoy faction in the famous feud, came about in a rather rude and abrupt manner. “Ranse” was the ferry-man at Pikeville whither he fled for protection from the wrath of the Hatfields. The ferry-boat was a common Big Sandy push boat, attached to a wire rope stretched from bank to bank and so contrived that by the adjustment of a wide board that extended down into the water the force of the current carried the boat over. I got in the boat and aimed to get near the side so I could see “Ranse” operate it when I heard a stern command to get back to the middle of the boat lest I upset it. Anyone who ever saw a push boat knows that it would take much more than my puny weight to upset it, so I concluded that “Ranse” merely wished to show his authority and not that he had the slightest fear of my turning the boat over. Besides, the water was not over four feet deep in the deepest place, so he could not have been afraid of being drowned. Say I to myself: “Well, old man if that’s the kind of a disposition you have, its a pity the Hatfields didn’t get your scalp.” I found out by further contact with him and through inquiry that was his true disposition. However I took the command good naturedly and proceeded to draw him into conversation in order to find out, if possible, something of his career and conflict with the Hatfields, and this is what he told me:
“The trouble began at an election where ‘Kentucky Dew’ was plentiful and freely imbibed. My son made the statement that he was the best man in the ‘diggins,’ whereupon ‘Johnse’ Hatfield disputed it and they came to blows. Hatfield was getting the worst of it when his brother “Wall” came to his assistance. My other sons, aged 17 and 14, then took a hand and wiped the earth up with them. That night the Hatfields and their sympathizers took my three sons prisoners, carried them across Tug River, gave them a mock trial in which “Devil Anse” Hatfield was judge, sentenced them to death and next morning brought them back to Kentucky, and after tying them to trees shot them all to death. Then I took my other son and in company with some friends and relatives, made a raid on the Hatfields, who, being taken unawares and not congregated together, fled in all directions. Some time after this, or as soon as they could get together, the Hatfields and others made a night attack on my home. My son and I fended it till it took fire and we were forced to flee or perish in the flames. I got away with my life but my son was shot and killed about 100 yards from the house, my daughter, Alafair, was also killed, my wife and grand-daughter were beaten terribly and our home and its contents entirely destroyed. After this I moved to Pikeville and expect to live quietly and, if possible, forget the terrible scenes of that bloody feud.”
The writer has seen the little girl who was beaten and knows that she is a pitiful sight to behold. He also stood on the ghastly scaffold where Ellison Mounte paid, with his unprofitable life, the penalty for killing the daughter, Alafair. Some five or six of the Hatfield gang were sent to prison for life and some have never been brought to justice. SUT.
Coal Grove, O., Sept. 25, ’98.

Semi-Weekly Republican, February 13, 1912
Just before the Hatfield brothers arrived in the city Thursday, an Ironton man who is employed in Ashland saw one of the McCoy brothers who figured in the trouble with the Hatfield brothers crossing to the Kentucky side of the river on the Ashland ferry.
That the coincidence is one worthy of note can be seen at a glance and it is the opinion of many that the meeting here was for some adjustment of legal trouble that the factions have been engaged in for sometime. As the Hatfield’s left on the afternoon car and as McCoy was leaving on the early fer___________ in that case would hardly be right.
Just what the business in the city was will probably never be learned but it would have been a hot time in the town if those individuals would have come together several years ago.
The trouble between the Hatfield and the McCoy factions has probably ended for good as neither of the families have carried it on lately and the readers will remember that some time ago “Devil Anse” Hatfield was converted and that he is now preaching the gospel in the wilds of West Virginia.

The case of the State vs Daniel McDaniels was called Tuesday afternoon. The defendant was charged with assaulting with intent to kill, Minnie B. Hayes, at Hanging Rock, last February. He attacked her with a hatchet; struck her bloody blows on the head, from which it seemed almost impossible for her to recover. The only explanation of this awful deed is that McDaniels said he loved her, and in his desperation, because she did not return his love, he tried to kill her. Miss Hayes who is a pleasant looking and modest young lady, was in court at the opening of the trial. Her head was bound up and she wore a loose woolen cap. The wounds are not yet healed, and through the bandage, when she afterwards uncovered her head for the reporter to see, the blood was still exuding. Though she is feeling pretty well, she is not yet out of danger.
Only three witnesses were examined – Henry Miller, John Caldwell and Dr. Courtney – when the Prosecutor rested the case. The evidence seemed to be complete with the three witnesses. Mr. Hamilton, the counsel for the defendant arose, and said the defense did not propose to offer any testimony, but to let the case go to the jury on the testimony of the state. The Court then charged the jury, who retired and in five minutes returned, bringing a verdict of assault with intent to kill as charged.
The Court said it would pronounce sentence at a future time, and ordered the prisoner back to jail. The penalty for offenses of this character, is from one to fifteen years in the penitentiary. The reason the accused did not plead guilty was that Miss Hayes might die from the wounds, when a trial for murder would follow, and his plea of guilty would seriously complicate the case.
IR Jun 2, 1892

McDANIELS, Daniel (State vs.)
Defendant charged with assaulting with intent to kill, Minnie B. HAYES, at Hanging Rock last Feb. He attacked her with a hatchet.. The only explanation of this awful deed is that McDANELS said he loved her, and in his desperation, because she did not return his love, he tried to kill her. Miss HAYES who is a pleasant looking and modest young lady, was in Court at the opening of the trial. Her head was bound up and she wore a loose woolen cap. The wounds are not yet healed, and through the bandages, when she afterwards uncovered her head for the reporter to see, the blood was still exuding. Though she is feeling pretty well, she is not yet our of danger.
Only three witnesses were examined-Henry MILLER, John CALDWELL and Dr. COURTNEY-when the Prosecutor rested the case. The evidence seemed to be complete with these three witnesses. Mr. HAMILTON, the counsel for the defendant arose and said the defense did not propose to offer any testimony, but to let the case go to the jury on the testimony of the state. The court then charged the jury, who retired and in five minutes returned, bringing a verdict of assault with intent to kill as charged.
The Court said it would pronounce sentence at a future time, and ordered the prisoner back to jail. The penalty for offenses of this character, is from one to fifteen years in the penitentiary. The reason the accused did not plead guilty was that Miss HAYES might die from her wounds, when a trial for murder would follow, and his plea of guilty would seriously complicate the case. IR Jun 2, 1892
Front page


IRONTON, O., May2-Dr. Warner McKay, a prominent physician at South Point, was shot and killed a midnight by Captain John Davis of the Portsmouth ferry boat. Davis asserted that he was defending the sanctity of his home, as he had retuned unexpectedly at midnight and found Dr. McKay in his wife’s room. Davis fled to Kentucky .

San Francisco Call newspaper, May 3, 1907, page 5


McQUIGG, Johnny
see Pressly BARKER
IJ Dec 29, 1869

The trial of Robert MITCHELL, accused of the charge of murder, was to be called Monday in a court at Rome, GA. Mr. MITCHELL is a well known Ironton man having been born and raised in this city. When he grew up to manhood he had earned the reputation of being a fine musician and took an active part in the old Silver Cornet band of the early days of Ironton.
Robert MITCHELL is a son of Mr. & Mrs. Robert MITCHELL Sr. and was born at their home on north Second street in West Ironton. He was a model young man and won the heart of Miss Emma WILD, the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Peter WILD.
Mrs. WILD says to Mr. & Mrs. MITCHELL, four children were born, one boy and three girls. The children grew up and soon possessed the musical talent of their father. After leaving this city, Professor MITCHELL and his little family moved to Winchester, KY, where they resided and were esteemed by all who knew them, for eleven years. They recently moved to Rome, GA, where the professor has to face the serious crime of murder today.
Mr. MITCHELL is a man of about 40? years of age and at the time of the murder in the southern city, was with his family, an occupant of a tenement house, living in a third floor flat. Seemingly, the ladies’ toilet room was on the third floor and the gentlemen’s on the second floor. On one occasion Mr. MITCHELL used the ladies’ toilet room instead of going down stairs, so we are informed, and that this matter originally started the hard feeling between MITCHELL and SLOPE……
IR Jan. 23, 1908

Charged with the murder of Pearl MASSIE, daughter of J. MASSIE of the city, was acquitted . The trail was held at Clarksburg, WV last week. Dr. O. ELLISON and J. MASSIE, father of the murdered attended the trial.
MONROE was acquitted on the grounds of self-defense, the girl’s dying statement, in which she stated that she is to blame and did not want MONROE prosecuted, being allowed to go to jury.
IR 24 Jan 1903

MOORE, Florence 
The preliminary hearing of Mrs. Elizabeth Pool and daughter, Mrs. Florence Moore, on the charge of murdering George W. Noble, will be held in Squire Henry’s court Thursday, and a large number of witnesses are being subpoenaed. The prisoners have retained Attorney W. D. Corn to defend them. Prosecutor L. R. Andrews will appear for the state.
Nothing new has developed in the case, but another clue is being followed up by parties interested in securing the rewards offered, and is based on the location of a watch supposed to have been taken at the time of the murder.

IR Oct. 04, 1900 
The following account of a murder committed in Huntington on Sunday morning is given in the Cincinnati Commercial Tribune:
“William J. McCaully, who took the leading part in the play, “A Woman In The Case,” was shot and instantly killed in this city at an early hour this morning by Pearl Newman, a longshoreman, and, as usual, it was a woman in the case that led to the murder. McCaully, after the show last night, went with three of his companions.
“While they were in a resort, Newman walked in and objected to McCaully’s attention to his inamoratas. Newman hurled a beer glass at McCaully, who ran. Newman pursued and fired at McCaully, who fell crying “I am killed.” The victim turning around, walked back into the room, threw himself on the lounge, and was dead in a couple of minutes. Newman leaped down the stairway, revolver in hand, and ran toward the Ohio River. The alarm was immediately given, and soon half a dozen shots were exchanged. Newman escaped, though and it is the supposition now that he is hiding in Ohio.
“McCaully’s home is supposed to be in Philadelphia. He is about 36 (or 30) years of age, was unmarried, and was a young man of fine appearance.”
IR Oct. 11, 1900

One of the most sensational occurrences in the history of Ironton was enacted on South Third street about 2:00 this afternoon.
Ironton officers attempted to arrest W.C. MOORE, of Green River, KY, for disorderly conduct, and he resisted. Officers MAYNE and George used their clubs, and MOORE drew a big 48-calibre Colt revolver and began shooting.
On south Third street, between Vernon and Washington, the officers took refuge behind buildings and telegraph poles and returned MOORE’S fire but apparently without effect.
Officer George MAYNE was standing behind the corner of Jones’ livery stable and one of the balls from MOORES’ revolver struck him in the little finger of the right hand, making a wound which may necessitate the amputation of the first joint. Another bullet passed through his coat collar, tearing a big hole in the cloth.              One of the officers, Ed. RAFFERTY was standing behind a telephone pole, just above Lot HENTHORN’S residence on Third street, between Vernon and Washington. MOORE opened fire on him.
Mrs. Lot HENTHRON and a young lady who was in the house, heard the shooting. The young lady ran outside to see what occasioned the fusillade and Mrs. Lot HENTHORN stepped to the south window of the upper front room of her residence.
When the young lady returned to the room, Mrs. HENTHRON was lying unconscious on the floor with the blood streaming from a bullet wound just below her mouth. A small bullet hole in the window and a shattered pane, indicated that one of MOORE’S bullets had gone wild and struck the unfortunate woman.              The young lady gave the alarm and willing hands soon rendered assistance. Dr. W.F. PRICER was hastily summoned and did all that medical aid could accomplish to bring the lady to consciousness but she died in a few minutes.
….MOORE is from Green River, KY. He has been here at different periods for some time and is rated as a bad citizen…
Mrs. HENTHORN was the wife of Mr. Lot HENTHORN, a salesman at Brumberg’s clothing store. She was 30 years of age last March, and besides her husband, leaves four small children..
The Register is informed that MOORE has been working at the steel plant in Ashland, KY and has a wife and four children in that city. He expressed the deepest regret over the occurrence and begs that he be protected against any violence on the part of the citizens of this community….
Funeral will take place from the Christian church at 2pm Wed. There will be no viewing of the remains and burial at Woodland cemetery. Mr. & Mrs. NORRIS, of Columbus are the mother and father of the deceased and her brothers and sister from that city are here to witness the last sad rites.
IR Nov. 2, 1899

see Thomas RILEY
IJ Mar 8, 1871

MYERS, Jacob
The trial of Jacob Meyers, indicted for the murder of his brother-in-law Orson H. Roy, at Horse Shoe Bend in July last, and who has already served a part of a life sentence was called up in Common Pleas Court Monday afternoon.
It will be remembered that Meyers was convicted of murder in the second degree at the term of court last fall and sentenced to the penitentiary for life. A motion for a new trial having been overruled, the case was carried to the Circuit Court, which held that Judge Milner had erred in his charge to the jury and remanded the case back to the Court of Common Pleas for a new trial.
Monday morning a special panel of thirty-six jurors and a host of witnesses reported it being understood that the trial would begin at 8:30 o’clock. Judge Milner understood that the time was 1 p.m., and did not arrive until noon.
In the afternoon preparations were made for opening the case, and one juror (Amos Bradshaw) had been sworn, when the attorneys for the state and defense, after a conference, agreed upon a plea of guilty to manslaughter. Meyers was arraigned, entered a plea of guilty to this charge and was sentenced to twenty years in the Ohio penitentiary.
I.R. June 06, 1902

NAGEL, Phillip
The man to be electrocuted April 15, in the annex of the Ohio penitentiary, Monday afternoon. Mr. William HUSH and Judge M.R. EARNHART made a visit and Mr. HUSH stated that NAGEL’S mother has been acquainted of her son’s whereabouts. Efforts will be made to carry the case to the Circuit Court.
IR 12 Mar 1903

NAGEL, Phillip
Says the Columbus Citizen: Phillip NAGEL, one of the condemned men in the annex at the penitentiary is beginning to get worried about his health. Since he was brought in last December, NAGEL has taken practically no exercise except an occasional walk about the yard. These have been but few on account of the weather and NAGEL is feeling the effects of the enforced confinement…
IR 19 Mar 1903

NOBLE, Geo. W. 
see Ellizabeth POOLE

NORRIS, Mr. & Mrs. 
see W.C. MOORE

Miss Northup, the sister of Dr. Northup who was slain by the McCoys, has faithfully stood by the prosecution in the efforts to bring her brother’s murderers to justice. She attended the long trial at Portsmouth and the one here. She has not spared money or time to see that justice is meted out. This course has not been attended with any undue malignity, but with a settled and honest purpose to see the right prevail. Miss Northup lives about five miles from Gallipolis, on the old homestead far, which she manages and very often makes a hand in the important duties of the farm. She lives alone and does her own buying and selling. She is a lady of intelligence and excellent ideas on affairs of the day.
IR Dec 29, 1887

Edward Gallagher was shot through the heart and John Oliver was killed by a blow on the head with a stone, and Henry Ingalls fatally injured at a dance last night at Ironton, O. The trouble arose over a woman.

Ogden (UT) Standard Examiner December 27, 1890

see Isaac DAY

see James BAYS

PAIGE, B. R. or “Reynolds Paige” 
On Friday morning of the 17th inst. cas the indictment against him read, was found dead in his cell in the jail of this county, having hung himself by means of his handkerchief and a short piece of rope tied together. He had been in jail for some weeks, charged with attempting to steal lumber and shingles and run them off by way of the river. In a letter he asserted his innocence of any intentions to commit crime, as he was employed by another whom he supposed to be the owner, and stated that he was subject to partial derangement at times, and had made too free use of intoxicating liquors! He was from somewhere in the East, of respectable connections, and well educated. His case excites much sympathy.
IR June __, 1853

POOLE, Elizabeth and daughter
Mrs. Eliza Poole and her daughter, Mrs. Florence Moore, were arrested at daylight last Saturday at their home on Buffalo Creek this county, charged with the murder of George W. Noble on Saturday evening, September 22.
The affidavits charging the women with the crime were made in Squire Henry’s court yesterday by Deputy Sheriff J. M. Payne, who has been working untiringly on the case since the day after Noble’s body was found.
The prisoners were brought to the city and lodged in jail at noon today. With them the deputy sheriff brought two revolvers found at their house, which is about a mile from the scene of the murder. One of the revolvers had a fleck of blood, or what resembles blood, upon the barrel, and Mrs. Poole claims it was in that condition when returned by a party to whom she had loaned it. A dress, stained about the skirts with a dark color, supposed to be blood, was also brought in by the officer.
It is the opinion of the authorities that the women know something of the crime, and no effort will be spared to further investigate the case and arrest the real principles in the murder.
Mrs. Poole is a woman about 54 years of age, while her daughter is a young woman. They lived alone, and it is said that the neighbors in the vicinity objected to their presence as a detriment to the moral atmosphere of the community.
IR Oct 4, 1900

PRICE, Perry
see Levi CANTER

see Frank BLEVINS

[From the Columbus Press.]
Hon. John K. Richards, ex-attorney general of Ohio, and prospective solicitor general of the United States under President McKinley, confessed yesterday that he was once a member of a lynching party. However, it was all against his will, and the pure result of accident. The lynching was that of John Wagoner, in Ironton, In January, 1882. Mr. Richards had just retired from the office of prosecuting attorney of Lawrence county. Wagoner was confined in the jail of the county on the charge of murdering Dr. Biggs, a chemist for the Aetna Iron Works. Some time had passed since the crime was committed and no one expected that violence be attempted.
“He could not have been convicted of murder in the first degree,” said Mr. Richards yesterday. “I doubt if anything more than manslaughter could have been made out of it. Beggs was a trespasser on the premises of Wagoner and it could probably have been proved that he was hanging round against the wishes of Wagoner, trying to entice some of the women from the house. At least that was what the defense claimed.
“A double murder had been committed at Ashland, Kentucky, not more than five miles away. The victims were young girls and the prosecution had failed to convict. This exasperated the people of the country on both sides of the river for miles around. The lynching of Wagoner was one direct result.”
On the night of the lynching Mr. Richards was returning home rather late – probably as late as 11 o’clock. His way took him past the jail. As he approached he noticed that the jail door was open. This puzzled him, but no thought of a lynching came to his mind until glancing up an alley close by he saw a large crowd of men, who on closer view, proved to be masked.
Quicker than it can be told two men stepped up to him and thrusting revolvers in his face ordered him to accompany them, which he did, being of an obliging disposition. These men conducted him some distance from the jail, but still in sight of it, and kept him under guard. One of them said: “We are going to succeed in what we are attempting tonight.”
“Oh, you are?” said Mr. Richards. “What are you attempting?”
But no further conversation could be drawn from them. They evidently suspected what was a fact, that Mr. Richards was trying to detect them by their voices.              “It was the finest organized body of men I ever saw, to be only a mob,” said he. “They were perfectly drilled. The leader was distinguished by a white baton
that he carried. With this he gave signs and conveyed commands to the members of the band.”
Mr. Richards was of the opinion that they had the keys to the jail, and was confirmed in the suspicion when he heard noises as of feet in the jail corridor, and the guards who had him under control became very nervous and edged off toward the jail yard, as if anxious to see the prisoner run up. When they had ambled along as far as the jail yard gate, they became so interested in the matter as to lose sight of Richard’s, and he walked away and was standing among the lynchers watching the swinging body of Wagoner on a tree when some of the lynchers noticed him there, the only one of the forty or fifty who was not masked. He was at once taken in charge again and conducted some distance away.
When they wanted to disperse he was ordered to “go up town.” “But I don’t want to go up town,” he replied.
“Well, that makes no difference,” said one of them. “You go.” And he went. As soon as the masked men had disappeared, Mr. Richards walked to the jail yard and ascertained that the man was dead. Then he visited the jail and found from the sheriff that the men had called him to the door and seized him. The keys were demanded but he refused to tell where they were. When the crowd showed their big guns his wife became alarmed and told where the keys were and it was soon all over.
The coroner’s jury and the grand jury tried to find something about the lynching, but failed, and no one was ever punished for the crime.
Mr. Richards afterward learned that the mob had guards stationed at every approach to the square in which the jail was located. No one was allowed to enter after a given signal. But Mr. Richards, walking rapidly, was past the guards at one station before they saw him. One of them went after him, intending to “slug” him, but saw who it was and came back saying, “I won’t hit that fellow. It’s Jack Richards, one of my friends.” The other fellow then started after him Mr. Richards had run into the main division, and against his will, was decidedly in the “push.”
Laughing over the matter yesterday, he said he had more guns pushed in his face inside of about fifteen minutes that night than he ever saw before.
IR Jun 10, 1897

RILEY, Thomas
Arrested at Ashland Furnace, KY Feb 23, for the murder of John MORRIS near Greenupsburg, KY in fall of 1862…
IJ Mar 8, 1871

Andrew McCALL


ROSS, Isaac
see John DUTY

ROSS, Sam’l 
see James McCLELLAN

ROY, Orson H. 
see Jacob MYERS