Ironton Trivial Facts

Ironton Trivial Facts

Submitted by Sharon M. Kouns

 

1921 – Ironton Business and Professional Women’s Club was organized.

 

1926 IRONTON TANKS

Tom Dandelet

Bill Heald

Diner Barron

Harry Pope

Andy Nemecek

Theodore Abel

Orlin Smith

L. L. Gates

Pete Peters

Kermit Frecka

Andy Andrews

Clarence Poole

T. C. Davies

Marion Pratt

Herb Stock

 

November 21, 1930 – Captain James Lawrence Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, was organized November 21, 1930.  It is a unit of the national Daughters of the American Revolution which was founded in 1890 and which now has a membership of 160,000 with chapters in every state.  Mrs. Carl W. Moulton of north Fifth street, Ironton, is the ninth Regent of the Lawrence County Chapter, which has a membership of 35 women.

 

April 1, 1949 – Ground breaking for the new addition to the General Hospital begins.

 

March 29, 1950 – IHS Jr. – Senior Prom Queen Is Selected.  Miss Virginia Meeks, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Meeks, will reign as queen of the HIS Junior -Senior Prom to be held May 26.  Miss Erma Broome, daughter of Mrs. Frank Broome, will be attendant to the queen.  Miss Meeks will be escorted by president of the Junior Class, James Falter.  Miss Broome’s escort will be president of the Senior Class, James Breeding.

 

March 30, 1950 – Tom Dandelet, Member of 1926 Tanks, Heart Victim.  Obituary.

 

April 3, 1950 – Carolyn Heider is Named May Queen.  Barbara Heider to be Attendant.  Miss Carolyn Heider was elected May Queen at Ironton High School today and her twin sister, Miss Barbara Heider was elected May Queen Attendant.  Both are daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Heider.

 

April 4, 1950 – Siple Named To State Committee.  Paul Siple, Lawrence County Representative, has been named as a member of the sub-committee on water resources and pollution, a branch of the conservation committee of the Ohio Program Commission.

 

April 4, 1950 – Two Patrolmen Are Appointed.  City Manager Henry M. Stanley today announced that Erwin Brannigan and Ray Guthrie had been given provisional appointments as city patrolmen.  The city manager also appointed Bob Glanville as pump operator at the water works pumping station.  He will succeed Emory Brownstead, who retires.

 

April 7, 1950 – Former Ironton Resident’s Drawings Are On Display.  An exhibition of drawings by Ralston Thompson, former Ironton resident and now guest instructor at the Art Academy of Cincinnati, has just opened at the Cincinnati Art Museum in Eden Park.  It includes thirty-one works executed since 1941 in many different media.

 

April 7, 1950 – Corn Purchases N. & W. Property.  William E. Corn has purchased from the Norfolk & Western Railway Company a tract of land fronting on south Third street, between Kemp and Scott Avenues, consisting of 3.30 acres.  The tract purchased is the site of the Colonial Inn-Restaurant, Inc., formerly operated by Dustin E. Corn and now operated by the corporation, which recently announced it would open April 8 as a non-profit concern operating public bingo.  The tract is known as the Kemp Homestead.  The property was transferred on the county auditor’s records Thursday afternoon.

 

April 10, 1950 – Mrs. W. F. Marting is 1950 Mother of the Year.  Mrs. Marting, 77, of Ironton, wife of a doctor and mother of three other physicians, today was named the Ohio Mother for 1950.

 

April 11, 1950 – Pfc. Sites Named Soldier of the Week.  Pfc. Herman R. Sites, Ironton soldier serving with Battery A, 63rd Fa Bn. On Kyushu, Japan, was selected “Soldier of the Week” here recently.

 

April 12, 1950 – The Trustees of General Hospital are planning to open some of the rooms on the third floor of the new addition next week.  The canopy for the ambulance entrance has been installed.

 

April 12, 1950 – Ground-Breaking For New Airport in Several Weeks.  Tri-State Airport – 500 acre tract south of Ceredo (WV).

 

April 13, 1950 – 1.3 Inches Of Snow Falls As Spring Turns to Winter.  The low temperature was 27 degrees.

 

April 17, 1950 – The Storms Creek Baptist Church in Coryville was destroyed by fire.

 

April 18, 1950   – Key Club To Get Charter.  The Key Club, an international organization, sponsored by the Kiwanis, was organized at Ironton High April 1st.  The new club had a meeting April, 13, and elected the following officers:  President, Paul Payne and Vice President, Jack Litle as delegates to the national convention of Key Clubs in Columbus, April 28th and 29th.

 

April 18, 1950   – Material Arrives for Paving of Ironton Streets.  The Rinwald Construction Company Monday began unloading material and equipment on the lot behind the old Ebert Brewery at Seventh and Railroad streets, preparatory to starting work on street paving.  The contractors are to start on north Seventh to Hecla and Hecla, Etna and Buckhorn streets.  The remainder of the improvement is on Wyanoke, from Third to Ninth.

 

April 18, 1950 – First  Outdoor Commencement to be held at Ironton High School To Be Held At Beechwood.

Advertisements