Ward Lumber Company

 

 

The Ward Lumber Co. was organized by W. Grant Ward in 1906. F. C. Tonlinson served as its vice president. E. F. Meyers was its secretary and D.C. Davies and Oscar Richey were directors. E. B. Dyer was responsible for building the large mill. In 1911, the big mill burnt to the ground and was rebuilt. Chief William George lost an eye during the blaze. The first engineer’s, John J. Brownstead, two sons, John and Joe, witnessed the fire. They took their bikes from the basement to across the street. The fire burned so hot it melted the tires on their bikes. In 1934, the building was sold for salvage after the business went into receivership. Oscar Simpson, Oscar and John Rowe, Alvin Harper, Edith Lambert, Art Mayenshine, Billy Moats, John Zeek, and Anderson Adams were among the employees of the Ward Lumber Co.

Forced To Remove Corpse During Fire

Ironton, Ohio, July 2.-Fire which started in a shaving burner of the Ward Lumber company this afternoon did damage to the extent of $15,000. The entire plant and office of the lumber company was destroyed, also the plants of the Ironton Tool Handle Works and the Allen & Lester Planing Mill.

The parsonage of the Sydenstricker Methodist Church was burned, a two story residence belonging to Umpire Harry Truby and a two-story house belonging to the Tristate Improvement company.

The Sydenstricker church, in which the funeral of a child was being held, was miraculously saved. The corpse had to be hurriedly removed, so fast did the fire spread.

The Duluth News Tribune, Duluth, MN 5 Jul 1911