he Sheridan Coaling Co. was first organized in 1864, under Bimpson and Nigh. A short time after, Charles Kingsbury, fresh from the war and full of enthusiasm over the fame of Gen. Sheridan, with Mr. Bimpson’s consent, named the place Sheridan. It had formerly been called Coalford. This famous vein of coal was first discovered by L. R. Chatfield, who lived a few miles up Lick Creek.
These works are situated on the Ohio river, about seven miles above Ironton, and the seam worked is about four feet thick, lying near the base of the hill. The company owns here about 700 acres of territory, well stocked with coal of a superior quality. The coal has not yet been used in a smelting furnace, but “cokes” equal to any coal in the West, and is equal to any for domestic use. It ca be delivered in Cincinnati at eight cents per bushel, and in time of scarcity of coal in Cincinnati, it would be found very advantageous to have such a source of supply; the more so, if a railroad was in successful operation to this point, thus rendering that city independent of the fickle river navigation, and comparatively indifferent to the chances of a “coal boat rise” at Pittsburg.
Lathrop, J. M. (1985). Atlas of Lawrence County, Ohio: Hardesty, 1882, Lake, 1887. Ironton, OH: Lawrence County Historical Society.