Ohio Iron & Coal Company

OI&C Co ad in 1914 phone book.jpg


“A Standard History of the Hanging Rock Iron Region” by Eugene Willard; page 277


Articles of Incorporation for the Ohio Iron & Coal Company, found in Deed Book 11 Page 566 at the Lawrence County Recorder’s Office

Members of the Ohio Iron & Coal Company

1.     John Campbell (president)

2.     Dr. Caleb Briggs (Secretary)

3.     Andrew Dempsey

4.     Henry S. Willard

5.     George Steece

6.     Henry Blake

7.     Joseph W. Dempsey

8.     Washington Irwin

9.     James W Means

10.  James A Richey

11.  James O Willard

12.  John E Clark

13.  Robert B Hamilton

14.  Smith Ashcraft

15.  H.C. Rodgers

16.  William Ellison

17.  D.T. Woodrow

18.  John Ellison

19.  James Rodgers

20.  Hiram Campbell

21.  William D. Kelly

22.  William H. Kelly

23.  John Culbertson

24.  John Peters

While John Campbell is typically credited as being the founder of Ironton, it was actually William D. Kelly who purchased all of the land needed and created the map that laid out the town. He was also the grandson of Luke Kelly, one of the pioneer settlers in Lawrence County.




Dissolution of the Ohio Iron & Coal Company

In 1859 all of the property was sold with the exception of the river wharf….which remained theirs until 2001. The City of Ironton had to sue the Ohio Iron & Coal Co. to take it. There’s even evidence! Here’s the case: