Foster Stove Company

HISTORY OF THE FOSTER STOVE COMPANY

This well-known establishment, located at 269 South Second street, is one of the successful industries of Ironton. It has been established eighteen years. The present company built the present extensive works. The capital stock is $80,000, paid in. The amount of their actual output is $125,000. They employe one hundred people, including traveling men. They have a weekly payroll of $1250.
Their business is the manufacture of a general line of heating and cooking stoves, and everything else in the line of stoves. They are putting in machinery for the manufacture of steel ranges, which will add largely to their annual output. Their territory includes Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.

The company is officered as follows: J.D. Foster, President and General Manager; C.A. Hutsinpillar, V.P.; L.E. Marting, Sec. and Treas.; Chas. Alexander, Supt.

These gentelemen are all practical men, some of them have taken all the degrees in the business, from the sand pile to the office and superintendency. Hence their success. When the Foster foundry was built there were few houses of any description in the South side. It was practically out of town, but now the home of the city is all around it, and the tide of traffic surges up to its doors. The foundry has had as few idle days in the eighteen years of its existance as any similar establishment of the city or elsewhere. The foundry was successful from the start. It was made the chief purpose to produce every article of manufacture in first-class style. The mangers inaugerated a custom from which they have never deviated, that of blacking every stove they made before shipping it, and this fact is set forth in their catalogue. The careful crafting of all stoves sent out is another rule peculiar to the company.

Mr. James D. Foster, the president of the company and chief manager of its affairs, received excellent training for the business in his six years of management of a large iron furnace in this region. He is a man of sterling business qualities and his intelligent supervision has much to do with the success of the foundry.

The gentlemen associated with him are of like character, and have at heart the good of the company, and that to attain success the wishes of patrons must be recurred with. No stove company enjoys the Esteem and confidence of its customers to a greater extent than the Foster.

— Ironton Register, January 1906

At the organization of the Foster Stove Works last week, Lewis E. Marting, who was formerly in the grocery business in East Ironton, was elected Secretary and Treasurer, in place of H. A. Marting. The other officers were re-elected. Mr. Marting has been at Gephart St., on the M. & C. for the last year or two. He will move to Ironton at once and go into the office of the company.
Ironton Register, Jan. 28, 1892


WAREHOUSE. – Foster Stove Co. will erect a three story warehouse, 44×88 feet, on Second-st opposite their foundry. In the warehouse, which will be put up to care for their immense stove stock, will be the office of the company. A crossing from the warehouse to the foundry will be made between the two second stories so as to afford ample communication between the two structures. This building is another gratifying evidence of the enterprise and prosperity of the Foster Stove Works.
Ironton Register, Jan. 23, 1890