The original Lawrence County Ohio Records of Birth Books are being transferred to Ohio Historical Society in Columbus, Ohio.
To obtain copies, you will have to hire a paid researcher or visit one of the locations listed below.
They are NOT at the Lawrence County, Ohio courthouse in Ironton, Ohio.
Microfilmed copies (Birth records and index (Lawrence County, Ohio), 1867-1938; registration of births and corrections, 1941-1984; delay births records 1942-2002) were made from these books and they are available at the following locations:
- Family History Center Libraries, which are branch facilities of the Family History Library located in Salt Lake City, UT. With over 3,400 centers worldwide, there is one in your area. To search click here. Their collection boasts of over 2.2 million rolls of microfilm. You will find many Lawrence County, Ohio records in their collection.
- Ohio Historical Society, 1982 Velma Ave., Columbus Ohio 43211
- Alden Library, Ohio University in Athens, Ohio 45701
- Briggs Library, 321 S. 4th ST, Ironton Ohio 45619
Lawrence County Ohio Birth Certificates are NOT available until 1909 and the index for these certificates for the years 1909-1940 are listed here.For births 1945-present you will have to contact the City Health Dept. in Ironton. To obtain copies of those, you must:
- Office of Vital Statistics, Columbus Ohio
- Visit the Health Dept. in person
2212 South 8th ST.
* Certified records are $25…but you can take a picture of a printout for free.
Important: the health department does not accept personal checks or credit cards. For requests by mail, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with a money order in the amount of $25 for each copy requested.